Ever wonder why people act the way they do or make the decisions they make? If you're
interested in a career as a counselor, lawyer, social worker or a human resources
manager, then our Life.Changing. Sociology Degree is calling your name!
|Campus||Ottumwa and Centerville Campuses|
|Entry Term||All Terms|
|Length of Program||6 Terms (18 Months)|
Do you find yourself wondering why entire societies and groups of people behave the way they do? Sociology will push you to explore the world through the lens of different cultures and communities. You’ll learn how past events impacted the survivors and discuss how current and future events may change society as we know it today.
|What you will learn:||
Sociology Program Outcomes 2022
- Explain and discover the ability to use sociological imagination and the major classical or contemporary perspectives in social theory to analyze social problems in context, and to generate and evaluate solutions.
- Develop critical thinking skills by analyzing and evaluating social, political, and/or cultural arguments across a variety of sociological areas such as inequality, social problems, human sexuality and gender, race, social economics, and social justice.
- Examine research methodologies used in social sciences to evaluate the quality and characteristics in sociological research and to evaluate representations of data in public discourse.
- Develop an awareness of diversity by analyzing how individuals’ worldviews of different cultural, religious, and political belief systems interpret the world around them through these beliefs.
- Develop and construct effective and convincing written and verbal arguments using sociological concepts.
- Evaluate how human behavior is shaped through social phenomena, social structures, social processes, social institutions, cultural routines, and socio-political change as it occurs locally and globally.
Ready to take your education to the next level?
Check out the details below to see how our Associate of Arts Degree in Sociology from Indian Hills Community College will help you get a Life.Changing. career as a Lawyer, Counselor, or Social Worker, or even transfer to a four-year college to receive your Bachelor’s Degree!
Questions? Don’t stress. Just ask Deb!
Deb Vos, Program Director, Education and Social Sciences
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
(641) 683-5111 ext. 1835 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 1835